We asked more than 500 people, "Does AdWords work?"
Here are the findings and our summary of the pros and cons shared from business owners and search marketing experts about Google's search advertising system called AdWords.
Note: If you are looking for other information about Google AdWords, take a look at the articles to the right.
Summary of Pros and Cons about AdWords
Pros: why people said they use and like AdWords
1. It's inexpensive compared to other types of advertising.
2. You can control how much you spend if you learn how to set the budget and campaign controls.
3. It's very measurable and you can figure out ROI (return on investment) which you can't for a lot of other types of advertising.
4. AdWords is particularly useful if you need immediate results that couldn't be achieved with SEO (search engine optimization). It takes a long time to get to page #1 on most search terms. You can get to page #1 on Google search immediately by paying for search ads. Many people said they "buy while waiting to move up in search".
5. Google has the most "reach" since they are the most popular search engine and they also have created a wide network of other sites that accept text and display ads.
6. Google's display ads that you can purchase through AdWords have low click through rates but work well to generate awareness at a low cost.
Most major advertisers buy larger display ads. Display ads are not text ads. They're the larger square or rectangular ads you see on many sites. Agencies and business owners said that if you want to generate brand awareness and create "reminder advertising", then buying search advertising is a low-cost way to get your name or product/service name out there compared to outdoor billboard ads, newspaper ads, radio ads, etc. Most of those ads aren't measured on people calling or clicking. They're assumed to create name brand awareness and interest.
Next page - the cons (there are a lot of them...)
This is one of the most popular articles on MarketingZone.com...
Join the conversation and share your experiences and advice - aren't we better off together sharing what we collectively know about what works and what doesn't with Google AdWords?
- Online Advertising
- Facebook Advertising
- Google Advertising
- Google AdSense
- LinkedIn Advertising
- Online Banner Advertising
- Online Directories for Local Businesses
- PPC Search Engine Advertising
- Twitter Ads for Small Business
Copyright © 2009 - 2012 by MarketingZone™ Inc. All rights reserved.
No part of this work, including design, content, and underlying technology on all pages, may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, screen capture, and recording or by an information storage or retrieval system, without the prior written consent of the publisher, except in the case of brief quotations referenced with full attribution. Pages may be printed for the sole use of the person printing them. MarketingZone content is available via content license. Address inquiries to email@example.com.
MarketingZone™ is a trademark of MarketingZone, Inc.